You may be thinking to yourself “why would Kris be writing a blog about something that could put her out of business?” and you are probably right. If you drank enough water every day I wouldn’t be able to sell you products for weight loss, constipation, depression & anxiety, dry skin, bladder infections, sore muscles, stiff joints, headaches, bone spurs, digestion, water retention, PH balance and energy...to name a few.
Here are some reasons why you should be drinking at least 8-8 oz glasses of pure, clean, non-fluoridated water on a daily basis. And 64 oz should just be a guide. On the days that I exercise I feel like I need to drink a lot more water than the days that I sit around on my lazy ass.
1. Death Prevention: If you don’t drink water, you will die. It's that important. Depending on our environment, we can live only a few days without water - maybe a week. We can live much longer without food. For most of us, we should prioritize the consumption of water far more than we currently do.
2. Weight Loss: Sometimes we think we are hungry, when actually we are thirsty. Our body just starts turning on all the alarms when we ignore it. For those of you trying to drop some pounds, staying hydrated can serve as an appetite suppressant and help with weight loss.
3. Constipation: Dehydration is one of the most common causes of chronic constipation. The food you eat makes its way from your stomach to the large intestine, or colon. If you don’t have enough water in your body already -- if you're dehydrated -- the large intestine soaks up water from your food waste. This makes hard stools that are difficult to pass.
4. Depression & Anxiety: Stress, depression and anxiety are three very different conditions. However, many people that experience one usually experience a combination of all three. Usually the stress can lead to the other two. There are many things that can be done to heal these emotionally tolling conditions, including removing stressors from our lives, taking supplements, resting, exercising, meditation, yoga and more. But, did you know that water can also help? These disorders are mood disorders, perhaps stemming from the brain. Studies link depression to dehydration because 85% of brain tissue is water. Dehydration causes energy generation in the brain to decrease. So, lack of water can be the culprit in any of these disorders really.
5. Dry Skin: The fact is that skin is an organ, and just like any other part of the body. your skin is made up of cells. And skin cells, like any other cell in the body, are made up of water. Without water, the organs will certainly not function properly or at their best. If your skin is not getting the sufficient amount of water, the lack of hydration will present itself by turning your skin dry, tight and flaky. Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling. As water is lost in large quantities every day, you need to replace it somehow. The unfortunate truth about drinking water and skin is that water will reach all the other organs before it reaches the skin. So, it's important to apply water to our skin and keep it there - this will not only show a visible difference in hydration, but it can prevent wrinkles, as well.
6. Bladder infections: This may not sound like the most extraordinary remedy, but it is one of the most important things you can do when you have a UTI. It can help flush out bacteria, and (almost) more importantly, it gives you something to actually push out when you pee! A lot of home remedies for urinary tract infections are drinks because you should always be flushing fluid through your system to give it a helping hand in getting rid of the nasty bacteria.
7. Athletic Performance: Proper hydration contributes to increased athletic performance. Water composes 75% of our muscle tissue! Dehydration can lead to weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance.
8. Stiff Joints: Drinking water can reduce pain in your joints by keeping the cartilage soft and hydrated. This is actually how glucosamine helps reduce joint pain, by aiding in cartilage’s absorption of water.
9. Headaches: Sometimes headaches can be caused by dehydration, so drinking water can prevent or alleviate that nasty head pain. Next time your head hurts, try drinking water.
10. Cancer Prevention: Yes, that’s right – various research says staying hydrated can reduce risk of colon cancer by 45%, bladder cancer by 50%, and possibly reduce breast cancer risk as well.
Master of WON!